Permaculture in Action

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Breakfast

This was our breakfast this morning...


Mark cooked us poached eggs for breakfast this morning using produce from the garden. Eggs from our hens, tatsoi leaves, tomatoes and basil on top of our own sour dough bread. A very satisfying feeling.We often joke about what our meals would cost if we ate them in a restaurant. At home they cost us very little and we are always more pleased with the home cooked version. Not that we are great cooks but probably because of the ingredients. Mostly home grown, freshly picked and grown with love. Not to mention the love that goes into cooking the meals. Oh and we really do enjoy simple food or peasant food as we call it.

We have been on a bit of a break from everything. Not the farm of course as it needs  constant attention. All the animals need to be checked throughout the day to make sure that they are coping with the heat. Our live in helper has moved on to be with the love of her life and we have had to take up the slack.We've enjoyed a quiet Christmas and New Year, stopped the food boxes for a week and relaxed. I read books and Mark has watched the cricket. It's been a struggle to get back here and write wondering what I want to write and how I want this space to look this year. I have some thoughts and we'll see how it pans out.

I have managed to read my favourite blogs but don't seem to have had the energy to even comment there. Sorry to all my dear friends out there in blogger land. I will get back to my usual self shortly.

 I will leave you with a link to a blog that I have just discovered. http://meadoworchard.blogspot.com.au/
 I've enjoyed her musings on simple living and where she's at with the whole concept.

Good to be back and we'll talk again soon.

10 comments:

  1. Hiya! Thanks for linking to my blog, I'm glad you've enjoyed my ramblings. I'm enjoying browsing through your posts - you're a bit further along the simple living trail than me, I think! No space for animals on my little balcony...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only just found your blog and I am enjoying it very much. You are a great writer.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, and what a lovely breakfast. That would cost a few dollars as I'm sure I will find out today as I head out to a meeting over brunch at a cafe! Growing food and making meals from that is healthy, wholesome and inexpensive. Looking forward to your blog this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ree. I look forward to surrounding my self with lovely blogger friends such as yourself.

      Delete
  3. Swap the tatsoi leaves for spinach and add hollandaise sauce and that meal is worth about $15.50 each serve. I know, as i think that's what i paid for it on our last holiday. So well done, and what a lucky lady you are having it cooked for you, at home, where you didnt have to get dressed up and go out. Glad you are back in blogland providing us with inspiration, information and motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am lucky. So glad to be back. I hope I can keep it up.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kate! Lovely to hear from you again! It's hard to write on here when life is so busy that one hardly has time to think, isn't it? Blog posts don't just trickle from our fingertips and photos don't take themselves, it all takes time and brain power and sometimes neither are readily available! I have been thinking of you and wanting to tell you that I still mean to make that visit….one day. When the time is right, we'll make it happen.
    Looking forward to reading of your intentions for 2014, sending you hugs, Evi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evi.You've articulated my thoughts beautifully. I look forward to the time when you can visit with us.So lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. We love that feeling too where every single thing came from the farm! What a gorgeous breakfast - that is a $30 meal in a Sydney cafe for sure. Looking forward to check out the blog you recommended , looking forward to being inspired this year by some new blogs and of course your blog always inspires.

    ReplyDelete