Permaculture in Action

Friday, May 13, 2016


I think that the guinea pigs were the high light of the farm visit today. I just could not drag them away. I usually leave the guinea pigs til last, when the children are a little tired from their farm wanderings and looking for a quieter activity. It soon became obvious that they just couldn't wait any longer to hold these dear little animals in their laps. So into the back of the ute they went, where children and guinea pigs are kept safe.







Each child potted up a nasturtium seed into one of these skin care pots.
 This skin care company uses pots from recycled plastic. Their philosophy is to take back these pots and upcycle them in some way. Which basically means they have to find someone who can find a use for them. As they are already made from recycled plastic the plastic can't be recycled again and so another use must be found for pots. They have asked us can we make use of them and so we use them as plant pots. Now I'm not advocating the use of single use plastic even though it has been recycled. I'm very careful about what I buy and wouldn't buy this product because of the packaging. Really I wish they'd use glass or wash these pots out and reuse them themselves. I don't really want to be responsible for other peoples waste, but now that I've got them I'm looking for ways to to use them that fits our ethics. So far that's as plant pots but I'm in two minds to take any more from them. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Oh guinea pigs are such sweet little things aren't they? :)

    I think it is great you are recycling them, or they would go to waste without being re-purposed but I understand your concern. it does feel nicer to use little glass, cardboard or terracotta pots doesn't it?

    xx

    ReplyDelete