Permaculture in Action

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pumpkin Soup

My goodness but it's cold today. The wind feels like it's blowing off the snow somewhere. Too cold for me in the garden, but Mark braved it, planting snow peas and broad beans. He'd harvested the pumpkins so I thought pumpkin soup and damper would be appropriate for us and Mark's brother and sister in law.



 We plan most of our meals around what we grow in the market garden, in fact that garden has to feed us and any students, wwoofers or others who may be here for whatever reason, before we sell to our customers.That means eating in season and preserving any excess to keep inputs to a minimum.We do buy in our flour for our bread, pasta and baking for morning teas,  our oats for breakfast, tea and coffee and a few other things. We try to buy as locally as possible and can manage to get some things like potatoes and chick peas from a local Biodynamic farmer.


Morning tea was this yummy orange cake using the whole orange chopped up in the food processer .The recipe for this cake comes from Rhonda and I've been making it ever since seeing it on her blog, when our orange trees are ready to harvest.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I just adore pumpkin soup! I have a row of sugar baby pumpkins growing and can't wait until they're ready.
    I am knitting my socks on two needles. It was a pattern I saw during a yarn along. They are very easy to knit and seam. This is only my second pair of socks [ever]. The first was done on double point needles and took awhile. This pattern is quick. They aren't as pretty as socks knitted in the round, but for my boy's who wear boots all the time I think they will work.
    The link is:

    http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/seabury_sox.txt

    Let me know if you need help.
    Warmly, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been so cold this last week that I was fantasising about pumpkin soup. Fingers crossed (again!) that the sun is out.
    Loving catching up with all your posts this week. Your produce looks so fresh and wonderful - I am sure it is. Blessings to you Mum. My mother was in a nursing home until she passed away last year. it is so hard, I know. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda's orange cake recipe is DIVINE. I'm loving reading your blog. I've become a follower. Thanks for adding comments to my blog. www.primrosehappysnapper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to have you with us Deb and I'm glad you like the blog.Kate

    ReplyDelete