Permaculture in Action

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday's meat free recipe

Today Rhonnie and I cooked stew and dumplings. I make a stew using whatever vegies I have available. Today it was onion, garlic, carrot, potato, celery, pumpkin, broccoli,tomatoes and cabbage. All fried up and vegie stock added. Bring it to the boil for 5mins. add cooked red kidney beans ( can substitute a can of kidney beans if you like) and 1/2 cup split red lentils.Simmer until all vegies and lentils are cooked. Meanwhile make the dumplings. Sift 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt,2tsp baking powder and 1tsp paprika in a bowl. Rub in 2 tblsp. butter. Bind together with water to form a soft dough. Divide into 8 portions and roll gently to form balls.Uncover the stew, stir,and then add the dumplings, pushing them slightly into the stew. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15mins. until dumplings have risen and are cooked through.





While that was cooking we made up a batch of  laundry liquid al la Rhonda over at Down to Earth. This is the 2nd time I have made it, and I am just so happy with it I thought I'd share it with Rhonnie.

3 comments:

  1. I am loving these vegetarian recipes, Kate. Keep them coming. I can't wait to try them all out.

    kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Kim! I never would have thought to add dumplings...great idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely delicious! Just a little hint, next time you make dumplings, add some herbs. The steam inside the dumplings make them a nice flecked green through the dough and they taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete