Permaculture in Action

Friday, September 2, 2011

On My Mind - My Dad's Birthday

Joining in today with Rhonda for what's on my mind. 

Today would have been my dad's 91st birthday. He died in 2006 at the age of 86



I planted this rose in memory of dad and as it's the beginning of spring it is always in bloom on his birth day. I chose it for it's name "Angel Face". I have many lovely memories of dad - his courage, his humour, his creativity, his enthusiasm, his curiosity, his tolerance, his love for his family, his love of life and oh so much more. He was a generous and  kindhearted man.

Edited to add that as I was washing the produce this morning I turned on the radio as I do every Friday morning and noticed a cassette ( yes! I said Cassette) in the player. I took a look and it was Harry Secombe. Now dad loved Harry's singing and his humour. I wonder ' Was this dad's player?'. I don't know for sure but I can't think of any one else I know listening to Harry. I like to think it was anyway.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely story . It's funny how plants keep us thinking of people past...for me it is daffodils and my grandma because when I was little I picked all her daffodils out of her garden because 'they were pretty' ...as an adult I always gave her daffodils on her birthday as a joke .
    I am sure the tape was your dad's way of saying he is still looking after you.
    kimx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's just lovely! and I agree with Kim, your dad is watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the edited part!!

    The rose is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing about your dad. I lost my mother this past February and I can't believe how much more of a roller coaster that her death has caused me. I have been on my own since 1984 yet my emotions...alas I am rambling.

    I came over from D2E and I am happy I did!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderfully heart felt post. I can "feel" the love you had/have for your Dad and the rose is a beautiful remembrance. Enjoy the music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely rose, and what a lovely man he was. I like the edited part as well. Sounds as if it was his player, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. poppy would be very proud of you mum and im sure he was singing along watching over you...xxx sarah.

    ReplyDelete