Permaculture in Action

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Yarn Along

There hasn't been a whole lot of knitting going on around here since the weather has started to warm up. Not that it's too hot to knit in the evening it's just the incentive that has gone.


So I have pulled out my remnants of cotton and started some dish cloths. You start with four stitches and increase at the beginning of each row until you have 77 stitches and then decrease at the beginning of each row until four are left  and then cast off. The increase is knit one yarn forward and knit to end. Decrease is knot 2 together, yarn over ,knit 2 together and knit to end of row. This gives a lovely border to the cloth. Sorry I don't know where I got the pattern from, but it was a blogger friend so thank you whoever it was.

It's ages since I've linked up with Ginny for a yarn along, but inspiration from Lori and her post about Alaska and here I am to share this lovely book...


It is based around a Russian folk story about an old couple who were never able to have children and build a little girl from snow. The story is set in pioneering Alaska and just as I finished reading it I saw Lori's post about her visit to Alaska. It certainly brought the book alive for me.

Happy yarning to you all, especially those of you in the north as you come into your cooler weather.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Kate you've got me with the book cover without even knowing about the story but it sounds great.
    Love the dishcloth too, easy pattern, must get myself some cotton yarn and have a go. Make a great gift too.....

    CLaire :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. kate i got your message and had to tell you the book is already on the way to my house, i had ordered it the previous day! how amazing is that! thank you for the kind words and recommending this book, i'm anxious to read it.
    love your dish cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, this is the pattern I use for my dishcloths too., aren't they great? Knit dish cloths are the only thing I use in my kitchen and I always have one on the needles in my purse to work on. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I've never made a dishcloth before. Sounds like a fun project.
    I don't know the book, but I LOVE the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my go-to dishcloth pattern, too. Love it! Haven't heard of that book, but the cover it beautiful, and it sounds like something I'll have to put on my library queue. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dishcloth looks lovely , Kate. Where do you buy your cotton from ? I can never find the right stuff for dishcloth making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, I buy my cotton from Spotlight or the shop in Maitland that'up the library end of town. Not sure of the name so lo or something.

      Delete
  7. How jolly neat you are; you should see my efforts! LOL!

    That books sounds a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate,

    I have had that book ever since I was a child. Not the same cover though. I read it to Jessie not that long ago.

    I too make my dishcloths using the same pattern. Super easy:)



    ReplyDelete
  9. I love knitting dishcloths -- it's a favorite way for me to try out new stitch patterns or just to have something "low-pressure" to work on when I'm between bigger or more complicated projects. (Or when such projects are impractical!)

    ReplyDelete