Permaculture in Action

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Honey Oat Bars

Yesterday, according to our Antipodean Astro Calendar, was a flower day. Flower days are good days for working with bees as it is more likely that bees will be busy elsewhere working with flowers and less likely to be in their hive. So we took this opportunity to rob a couple of our 5 hives and add a box to a newish one.The frames are taken to our produce washing shed where we can seal ourselves in away from any bees.



After taking some frames from the hive we use a hot knife to cut the wax cappings off.



Two at a time they are put into the spinner and through centrifugal force the honey is spun out of the frames.



The honey is run through a sieve to strain off any wax and we have beautiful golden honey to take to the kitchen for jarring up. But first to make some Honey Oat Bars.

We need 1 cup of freshly rolled oats...



1 cup sultanas
1/2 cup wholemeal self raising flour
1/2 cup raw sugar ( I used just 1/4 cup as I wanted to use more honey)
1/2 cup coconut  ( I used sesame seeds as I didn't have enough coconut)
155 gm butter
1 tablespoon honey but I added an extra 1/4 cup instead of 1/2 the sugar.

Melt butter and honey together and then add to dry ingredients, mix well and bake in a lamington tray. Medium oven for 15 to 20 mins.



Cut in tray while still hot and sit to cool before lifting out.


They turned out very nice. Very quick and easy for busy mums! I think you could add just about anything to them in the way of dried fruit and seeds or even choc. chips. And next time I'll leave the sugar out altogether and just use honey because we have honey and we don't grow sugar!

The wax from the cappings is washed and collected for candle making at a later date.

13 comments:

  1. What a great post! I have just been to a 'bee man ' to get some wax for lip balm making and furniture polish and all the things I was wondering ( how you get the honey out of the wax etc) were answered today.
    Will have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might find that the bars hold together better with the sugar - unfortunately using the sugar is probably needed to give your slices or biscuits some crunch and keep them from crumbling too much! Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Thanks Evi. Will check it out and let you know. If it does crumble I will make apple crumble with it. Wouldn't be the first time we've used a failure to cover a crumble.

      Delete
  3. That sounds very nice Kate, looking forward to giving it a try with maybe some figs and walnuts I need to use up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried it with the dried figs and walnuts and it was lovely, not an everyday treat though as it was quite pricey. I even used some Purple Pear farm honey!

      Delete
  4. That looks a yummy slice. Someone I know would like that very much, and as I have some fresh honey too, I might just make it - thanks for posting the recipe. I'm getting a queen bee soon, so that means I'LL HAVE BEES TOO - at last! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's awesome kate, wish i could sample one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate,

    I was just wondering what that was you used to roll your oats? Is it one of the grain mills you can sit on the bench. I have been looking into getting some sort of grain mill to make flour etc. Thanks for any advise!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an oat roller from Austria called a Schnitzer. You can buy them in Australia from http://www.skippygrainmills.com.au/index.htm. I love that my oats are freshly ground every time we eat them.

      Delete
  7. I like how you used home made oats and honey, very appealing. I make a similar oat bar except use mashed banana as the binding agent. 1 cup oats, 2 bananas, and what ever else you want to add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Jason. I do like the sound of banana.

      Delete
  8. This looks so wonderful and delicious! Thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate, I haven't seen you around lately. I hope all is well in your wood.

    All the best for 2013, Rhonda xx

    ReplyDelete